A morning routine can be a dealbreaker for people who look forward to having a great and productive day. Since most of us have been working from home over the last few months, the routine in the morning seems to have gotten scattered, lost and distant. Young professionals and even young adults often have a hurried routine to either getting to work or attending college lectures often skipping on breakfast or going to the gym. Having a great morning routine can make a big difference in being productive and staying organised.
Creating a morning routine is not about accomplishing more tasks than others but it revolves around feeling good about yourself by accomplishing certain tasks, and starting your day with confidence, a positive attitude and setting the right tone for the rest of the day. It can be overwhelming when we’re chasing a bunch of tasks, often leaving us stressed or short of time even before the day has begun. Therefore, don’t hit the snooze button! Wake up early, preferably before sunrise to start off a healthy and productive day.
Morning routines for a healthy and productive life
Here are a few tips suggested by Sheryl Salis, dietician, certified diabetes educator and wellness coach, that you can follow in the morning:
- As soon as you wake up, do the Balasana or Child pose on the bed and hold the position for as long as you can. This yoga asana improves blood flow to the brain and helps relieve muscle stiffness. Sit upright and meditate or perform some breathing exercises to help relax the mind.
- The following morning routine is oil pulling. Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique that involves swishing cold-pressed virgin oil, preferably coconut oil, in the mouth for about 5 minutes just like a mouthwash before rinsing it with warm water. Virgin coconut oil has a myriad of health benefits and using it for oil pulling helps improve immunity as directed by the AYUSH Ministry. The medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in the oil contain lauric acid and caprylic acid, which strengthens the immune system and has anti-viral properties. Oil Pulling needs to be done on an empty stomach every morning.
- If you are not keen on oil pulling, have two teaspoons of virgin coconut oil in the morning or add it as a base oil to coat your breakfast meal. It can also be added to your post-workout smoothie as a topping. Virgin coconut oil is an age-old superfood that helps improve immunity boosts energy and aids in weight management.
- Drink 2 glasses of water to detoxify your body. You may also add half a lemon and ginger with a pinch of fresh cinnamon, turmeric and pepper powder to make a DIY immunity drink at home.
- Remember, the morning hour is the most silent and peaceful time of the day, and hence, avoid using gadgets immediately after you wake up.
- Make sure you eat seasonal fruit and workout after this. The reason you should workout in the mornings as part of a routine is so you don’t feel lethargic through the day and skip it altogether. Exercising in the morning removes sluggishness from the body making it more active and flexible.
- Have a sumptuous breakfast that includes carbs, protein, fats and dairy. A good, heavy breakfast allows us to fuel our body and leads to more consistent energy levels throughout the day as well as feeling more alert and focused. For those who have eggs, include at least one whole egg in your breakfast portion, oats are another healthy option.
Establishing and implementing a routine that is easy to follow provides a certain sense of calm for the day ahead.